Monday, March 09, 2009

That Future Thing

With graduation sneaking up on me, I've been taking realistic looks at job possibilities. The original plan/hope was to find a job in a hospital near Cleveland. Then I could jump into RN school at either Tri-C, Lakeland or even at a hospital school as soon as someone will take me, in hopes of finishing the rest of my RN coursework in less than 2 years time. The only huge detail that will prevent that from happening, is the fact that Cleveland hospitals in general are pretty much not hiring LPN's. The few they are hiring generally already work in the hospital system. There is some potential with Cleveland Clinic Main, UH, or Metro, but not a lot. I'm still going to keep that possibility on the list. The only downside to that, is the pay those jobs offer. It honestly isn't that great.

After watching my Grandpa move in and out of Nursing homes at the end of his life last year, I had sworn to never put myself into a job with a long term care facility. Lately though, I'm starting to open myself up to the possibility. The pay is better, there is more job security, and I could still shoot for my RN in the same time period. I can move forward from there. This topic has come up in conversation with my fellow classmates a lot lately.

I'll be 28 years old when I finally get my licensure. I have never lived alone. I still drive the first car I have ever owned. After about 9 more payments, it will be mine :-P I have a baby 401K started, but nothing really going for me yet that is actively building a stable future for myself. The way I'm seeing it now, I can shoot for a job in a nursing home and actually make decent money in doing so. I love the idea of having some financial stability while taking on the next steps in building my career.

I enjoy where I live now, and I'm lucky to have the things that I have, but... I want the possibility to live in my own place, and fill it with my own things. I'm disappointed with myself that I have not done this yet. I want to have a more reliable, safer vehicle that doesn't make horrible sputtering noises every time I stop at a red light. These things will be mine, and before too much longer. The will most likely happen more quickly if I take option #2.

I am going to a general career fair in Independence tomorrow, and my school is holding an Allied Health career fair on March 25th. I'm going to be mass printing my resume tonight. I'm really hoping that someone will take me in and offer me an opportunity to get my foot in the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment